Re: HAI Omni LT

"Brett Griffin" <brett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > How do you think HAI's Weblink
>
> Well the Weblink has its own purpose.  It was to control and access a home
> control system.  Video was a secondary thought, and is for the homeowner
who
> has one exisiting modulated camera.  It is not hard to come up with a
> reason, that make any other web video software a btter choice.

That's true.  I guess my question is more of "if I spend the money on
Weblink, will it at least do a credible job of what I need done?  Then I can
see if it provides other benefits as well.

> Weblink is about having everything you need in one application
> hosted from your home PC.

Of course, the sticky point is "what do I need?"  Sometimes, a simple
requirements analysis isn't enough.  In things like this it's always a good
idea to find out what the various alternatives offer.  Weblink may, indeed
have something to offer that I don't even know I need until I need it!  :-)

> Personally, on a side note, I have used Weblink for a number of years, and
> it is nice for me cell phone interface via a browser.  However PC Access
and
> Weblink are combersome for operating your home via a PC in your home.  For
> these reasons, I am announcing my own software hopefully on monday, that
> allows you to control your ethernet based HAI/OnQ/Aegis system from a
simple
> menu in your system tray.  I am very excited about this one as I had asked
> the president of HAI for all three years working for him to develop it and
> he never did,

I wonder why?  Did he ever give a reason?

>So I teamed up and did it.

Sounds interesting.  Keep us filled in.

> > Does it run under Unix?

> I have a version of the training in Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Well, hopefully you'll sell some.  Maybe someone here in CHA has DL'ed it
and looked at it.  I'll try to, when I get a chance.  I don't load any new
software, as a rule, just to take a look at a product.  I guess Marketing
101 really had an effect on me.  "If you make your ad hard to see, you're
defeating the purpose of advertising."

Take a look at:

http://www.edcheung.com/default.htm

He manages to present an ENORMOUS amount of information in nothing more than
stock, out-of-the-box, plain HTML code.  The punch is in the content, not
what delivers it.  I guess I'm old-fashioned and like well-designed,
well-implemented sites like Dr. Cheung's that don't require anything other
than a standard web browser to view.  The further away from this "gold
standard" a website or technical information gets, the less interested I am
in seeing it.

Now it's clear that Dr. Cheung has nothing to sell (but if he did, I'd buy
it!)  He puts his information out "pro bono" and it is indeed, "for the
good" of the entire HA community.  Dave H. maintains a similarly
well-illustrated and carefully thought out set of pages.  I realize you're
coming from a different perspective.  Even so, it would be very enlightening
to thoroughly familiarize yourself with their works.  I learn something new
each time I visit.

--
Bobby G.