Re: entrance keypads

"Larry Moss" <moss@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:tpoxe.93558$g5.64751@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm new to home automation.  I just installed a DoorBell Fon (with the
> door
> lock controller).  That's the full extent of what I've done so far.  I'd
> like to add a keypad for front door access.  I can't find a keypad that
> does what I want.  I have a number of people that often need to get in and
> the people coming in change frequently, so I need something that can
> handle
> at least a dozen codes, some of which can be programmed as single use
> codes.  That all seems to be possible with a number of the keypads out
> there.  But I'm having trouble finding something that can log the codes
> used.  This keypad does more than I need and says it offers an optional
> printer logging interface:
>   http://WWW.SMARTHOME.COM/7432A.HTML
>
> Smarthome doesn't seem to have the printer logging interface mentioned.
> I've done some googling and found several sites, including the
> manufacturer's that also mentions it, but I can't find a place to order
> it.
>
> I know I could get a dumb keypad and have a computer controlling the whole
> thing. This would have lots of benefits. I could create one-time codes
> remotely.  It would be easy to record and process codes entered, rather
> than just printing it as it came in.  But I don't really want my door lock
> dependent on the rest of my network.  I could probably pick up an
> old/cheap
> laptop (it would have battery backup) to use as a keypad controller, but
> if
> anyone has any other suggestions, I'd really appreciate the help.
>
> Thanks.

Larry:

You don't want a "stand-alone" keypad like the one you've pointed to in the
link you provided.  All someone has to do is pull the sucker from the wall
and manually complete the circuit to pop the electric lock on your door.
The "cheap" way to do this would be to use a security panel like the Elk M-1
Gold which can interface with a card reader or keypad (or a combination
unit).