Re: HAI Omni LT

"Brett Griffin" <brett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > That's true.  I guess my question is more of "if I spend the money on
> > Weblink, will it at least do a credible job of what I need done?  Then I
> can
> > see if it provides other benefits as well.
>
> It does a great job of giving you remote access, control, and status of
> anything hooked up to your Omni system.  If you have a windows based OS,
> like Xp, Pocket PC, or Smartphone, you can view and control your home.

I liked the idea of being able to run/check up on the house via a Pocket PC
or a smartphone.

<stuff snipped>

> I like the way other companies have broken it down so each
> training is a short  concise step like, setting up names and voices, or
> adding phone numbers.  So you don't have to sit thru a long presentation
> get the 30 seconds of instruction you are looking for at that moment.

That sounds good.  Most video training I've used has been sort of background
stuff.  By that I mean if I am in the shop, doing something boring, I'll
watch/listen to a training video so that I can learn by osmosis.  This
discussion's inspired me to whip out the old DV camera to film the
installation process of the LT.

Speaking of the LT, is there any way to use a larger battery than the one
they recommend or is the built-in charging circuit limited to the size
specified (too small, IMHO)?   I suppose I could plug the line transformer
into a UPS but it always seems wasteful to generate 110VAC only to transform
and rectify it back down to 12VDC.  It's not a really big issue since I've
already put a UPS in the wiring closet to handle the DoorFon, but I would
like to just put a bigger battery in than what they've recommended.

On a similar topic, can you tell me why UL regs insist that sounders draw
approximately 2/3 less current than the LT can support?

I still haven't drawn up the diagrams of how the DoorFon will be
interconnected with the LT.  If I understood Bruce Robin, it will look like
this:

Phone Network      RJ31X                       DoorFon               House
-------------------->           --------------->                ----------->
Interface             Line Seizure                  Connection
Phones
                           Jack (to Omni)

> Thanks for the link, I will definitely takes some notes....

Dr. Cheung's done some pretty amazing things with HA.  Every time I go to
his site, there's something I see that I really must have.  This time around
it was his system of using a single maxicontroller to use all 256 house/unit
codes.  Ingenious!  Also, I learned how to DL text weather messages from the
NWS.

--
Bobby G.