Re: Line Noise Interference Question

In article <11cb1nt1d0mfd40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Dimbo Spams" <cuervojose(remove)
@jps.net> says...
> I use X-10 controllers all over my house. Please no X-10 tirades here. I
> bought a new computer. I am having interference with the signals now to my
> X-10 devices. I have installed a line filter from "smarthome" that is
> supposed to filter out interference from power supplies. However, it does
> not seem to be working. In fact, I must not only shut down the new computer,
> but unplug it also in order for it to not interfere. Any one have any
> suggestions her. Thanks in advance!

What you have described is a perfect example of an X-10 sink. The power supply in
your new computer has some large and effective capacitors across the AC line which
are shorting out the X-10 signal. This is a common problem with switching power
supplies as used in computers, televisions, and an increasing amount of consumer
equipment.

As a partial fix you can try plugging the computer in a different outlet,
hopefully a different circuit. It may improve performance a bit. The 100% fix (for
this specific sink) Is to separate it from the outlet and your house wiring with
an X-10 "filter". For example:

http://www.smarthome.com/1626.html

These filters have inductors inside which are limited in the amount of current
that they can handle. The smaller ones like this are good for 5A which is plenty
for your computer, a TV, a stereo receiver, etc. For bigger jobs there is a 15A
version that is quite a bit bulkier and correspondingly more expensive.

Geo.