Re: entrance keypads

"Larry Moss" <moss@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:chFxe.412$0i3.9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Thanks for pointing that out.  I thought all of the outdoor keypads I was
> looking at were two part packages.  I didn't realize that was an
> all-in-one
> unit.

No problem.  I'm familiar with the unit your link pointed to and have used
it on several "low security" type applications.  I didn't think using this
for your home's front door was a good idea.

> That doesn't look particularly cheap.

Heh...  The M-1 Gold isn't, but it's what I would recommend you carefully
consider going with.  You'll notice I did put "cheap" in quotations...  The
service manager at Chubb (when I first started in the trade 22 years ago)
had a saying that's appropriate in this instance:

"Do it once and do it right."

Besides which I think you'll find that Elk recently dropped the suggested
retail price for this product.  Now that it's proven itself to be everything
they advertised, I don't have any problem recommending it.

> It might be interesting to do
> something with it down the road.  It's definitely overkill for what I want
> right now, but I suppose future planning isn't such a bad idea.

"Future planning"...  Exactly my point.

> I'm going to
> read more about it before I decide if that's the right answer.  My initial
> reading has me rather confused.  Thanks for the pointer though.  It'll
> keep
> me busy for a bit.

If you need help sourcing product, I know of several online Dealers that can
provide you with information and competitive pricing.  There are several
online resources the regulars here recommend using on a frequent basis as
well.  I'd stick with them.  Feel free to email me if you need more info.  I
have no interest in selling product to you even if you happen to be local to
Vancouver, B. C. (my market isn't residential) and no affiliation with any
online Dealer.  Good luck...