Re: entrance keypads

>> There are several companies that make stand alone (low security) and
>> 2-part
>> (higher security) keypads for this purpose.  One model, Securitron's
>> DK-26SS is a weatherproof 2-part design.  Following is a link (my
>> website)
>> to a collection of digital keypads which can do what you want.
>> http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/subcategory_802.htm
>
> Looks like in order to do the logging, I'd want the DK-26SSXB.  Is that
> right?  Now this is getting pricey enough that maybe the suggestion of
> going with an Elk isn't so far off.  Any reasons to go with one or the
> other aside from price? Obviously the Elk looks like it would give me
> greater future expansion, but just based on what I want currently, is
> there
> something I'd be leaving out if I went with the DK-26?

The ELK M1Gold does cost a bit more but it's also a powerful home automation
controler.  You'll still need an electric strike and a reader or keypad.
ELK's keypads are not waterproof and should not be installed in an exterior
area, even if it's protected from rain.  The LCD will not be readable when
it's cold and functionality / life expectancy of the keypad may be impaired
if it's exposed to temperature or humidity extremes.

BTW, another individual commented that my link URL to a 1-piece unit.  The
link actually points to a collection of different keypad systems.  Some are
stand-alone and some are 2-part systems.  The latter provide sufficient
security for most normal applications.  I wouldn't use any automated locking
system without some form of alarm on the door though, and that brings us
back to the considering the ELK system or perhaps some less pricey alarm
plus the keyless entry system.

> I'd love to just be able to network whatever I install and talk to it like
> any of my other devices.  I'd rather enter/delete access codes from a
> computer than the keypad, but that's not all that important.  However, I
> would very much like to collect the data from it rather than just print
> it.
> (The printer interface on it is serial, so I shouldn't have any trouble
> setting something up to just capture it.)

I haven't asked ELK if they log user identification when a Wiegand reader is
connected.  User activation and deletion should be no problem using their
software but I'd want to verify that first.

>> I will add information on Rutherford Controls, aka
>> RCI as soon as I finish entering the rest of the
>> Securitron product line.
>
> I just looked at their site.  it doesn't look like they
> have any two part exterior keypads.  am I missing
> something.

Oops.  You're right.

--

Regards,