Re: Line Noise Interference Question

> With a 5V signal level even the 30:1 filter will allow 167mV through and
> many transmitters have a 10Vpp signal level.

I noticed that when I put an ACT 5A filter between a signal sucker and the
line that a maxicontroller could still reach and control an appliance module
located very closer to the other side of the filter.  I also noticed very
odd results combining a surge protector with a Leviton filter.

I confess to not having read up as much as I would like on filter design,
but perhaps you can give me some guidance.  Is it possible for two "signal
suckers" to interact in unexpected ways?  I plugged two surge strips that
gave me X-10 troubles and used the ESM-1 to measure a signal at the end of
both of the units.  It was higher at the end then it was in the middle.  Is
that even possible?

[outlet] (2v)---------->[strip1] (.5v)---------->[strip2](1.5v)

Since I can't get the level of precision I want from the ESM-1, I decided to
bite the bullet and buy the Monterey unit.  The Lynx wasn't very useful to
me in making detailed analyses of the "power picture" at my house. The ACT
unit was just too damn big.   From what I read, aside from the BSC problem,
it's going to give me a signal and noise readout that promises to be useful
in both bug hunting and testing.

What I want to do is design a test bench that can not only get some sort of
"device profile" for all my 110VAC equipment.  I was going to set up the
meters (I want to make sure the ESM-1 and the Monterey agree) on a plain
vanilla power strip plugged into an ACT 15A filter.  Is that a good idea?
I'm worried that devices might react differently in the test bench than they
might in the real world.  What else should I be measuring to try to
eliminate variables?  I want to know which devices present obstacles to X-10
signal propagation but I don't want to waste time recording worthless
readings because I didn't think it through first.

Thanks!

--
Bobby G.