Re: entrance keypads

On 2005-07-02, Frank Olson <feolson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You don't want a "stand-alone" keypad like the one you've pointed to in the
> link you provided.  All someone has to do is pull the sucker from the wall
> and manually complete the circuit to pop the electric lock on your door.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I thought all of the outdoor keypads I was
looking at were two part packages.  I didn't realize that was an all-in-one
unit.

> The "cheap" way to do this would be to use a security panel like the Elk M-1
> Gold which can interface with a card reader or keypad (or a combination
> unit).

That doesn't look particularly cheap. It might be interesting to do
something with it down the road.  It's definitely overkill for what I want
right now, but I suppose future planning isn't such a bad idea. I'm going to
read more about it before I decide if that's the right answer.  My initial
reading has me rather confused.  Thanks for the pointer though.  It'll keep
me busy for a bit.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695