Re: Pre-wired house- Need help with A/V Distribution with CAV6.6

> Thanks for your help guys.  I have been doing some research to figure out
> the best workaround for my problem before I decide to dump the CAV.  I am
> learning as I go, so forgive any dumb ideas or questions.
>
> I get the impression that the CAV will work with A-Bus AKP2 keypads, no?

Well, yes sort of.  The CAV6.6 can have up to four A-BUS keypads which
function as slaves to the first four CAV zones.  That is, the rooms served
with A-BUS will play whatever has been selected by the UNO keypad in the
controlling zone.  A typical use for this is in a master bedroom / master
bath suite.  The A-BUS keypad in the bathroom provides independant volume
control of the bathroom speakers while playing whatever music source has
been selected in the bedroom.

> I know that would limit some features, but seems that
> it could still give me choice of 4 sources in 4 zones?
> Am I on the right road or am I missing something?

You are correct, but for what you would get you may as well just go straight
to A-BUS.  You won't be getting any benefit from the CAV.

> On another angle, I have looked into a few other systems,
> Sonance, Niles, etc. and it appeared some keypads only
> required 6 wires of the 8 available in the Cat 5e.  Is it
> potentially feasible to use the other 2 to patch the the
> speaker wire down to the media closet?

It is, but you'd only have mono and the 24-gauge wire in the CAT5 cable
won't be able to carry much current.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass