Re: The latest from Symantec - "Winfixer"

B Fuhrmann wrote:
> "Frank Olson"  wrote ...
>
>>"Winfixer" has now been identified as a security risk.
>>(http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/winfixer.html)
>

> Attack on Robert Bass deleted.

Since when is the truth an attack??

>>This has been a public service announcement and is not intended as a
>>flame.
>

> The usual hatchet job from frank for his masters in the group for "alarm
> professionals".  Based on the lack of honesty of Frank and his buddies, the
> definition I have of "alarm professionals" would not be repeatable in polite
> company.
>
> WinFixer is not a SECURITY risk.  It is an annoyance that pops up IF YOU
> MANUALLY INSTALL IT.

That's funny.  Symantec identifies it as one.  You read about as well as
Robert.

> I opened www.BassBurglarAlarms.com with the pop up blocker off, on a
> computer that I have never used to view the site, no pop up.

Delete your "cookies", and files.  I get a pop-up/pop-under every time.
  Winfixer seems to "rotate" as a pop-up with a bunch of other ones.  It
doesn't appear every time, but when it does, its persistance is notable.
  On all eleven of our systems, it's timed almost perfectly.  You go to
close one window and the cursor moves to a second one that comes up with
"Yes" (install the software) on it.

> I then used Google to search for the link between Winfixer and the counter
> Robert uses.  Apparently there is NO CONNECTION except for series of flames
> from the "alarm professionals".

Heh...  So have you actually looked at the coding on Robert's pages??
The javascript lines that read:

"<script language="JavaScript">
function popUp(contentLink){
var nameBrowser = navigator.appName;
var verBrowser = navigator.appVersion.substring(0,1);
if (nameBrowser == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' && verBrowser <4)
var popUpWindow =
window.open(contentLink,'','height=600,width=400,scrollbars,resizable');
else {
var popUpWindow =
window.open(contentLink,'popUpWindow','height=600,width=400,scrollbars,resizable');
popUpWindow.focus();
}
}
</script>

Or:

<script src="scripts_website/functions_popup.js"></script>

What do you think the word "popup" means??