Re: speaker wire deteriorates?

> Like anything else, it's important to break it down into known-good parcels. Make sure the wire's good, then the speakers, volume controls and any other elements involved.  Something will eventually show up, and as you point out it may well be the result of someone else's "handy work"...

Good point, Bill.  Since the volume control is the only single item
which affects both speakers in a given room but not those in other
rooms, I'd start my diagnostics there.  Here's an easy way to check it.
 Turn the master volume all the way down.  Turn all the other V/C units
up all the way.  Remove the suspect V/C from the wall and hot wire the
inouts to the outputs so that the amp's power is going directly to the
speakers.

Note: This will eliminate impedance protection so make certain you
start with the master V/C all the way down.

Slowly ramp the volume up to the point where music is just audible in
the other rooms.  It should be close to the same in the test room.  If
so, the V/C is probably the culprit.  If not, power off, reconnect the
V/C and start checking the speakers, conections to them, and so on back
to the amp.  Best of luck.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com