Re: Need help with PLC noise problems in a Manhattan (New York City) apartment

In article <43a0cfe5.53692635@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) writes:
| ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:
|
| >It's tricky to say without really knowing what's going on.  If he is dealing
| >with fixed-threshold receivers and if the noise is above the threshold then
| >there is no choice but to reduce the noise(*), even if it is at the expense
| >of valid signals.  It's one of those communications problems where the best
| >you can do is attenuate everything and increase the real signal to compensate.
| >Without some kind of AGC or automatic threshold adjustment in the receivers,
| >merely improving the signal to noise ratio doesn't help:  the absolute noise
| >level is what matters.
|
| Alan has told us that the 6285s block signals from either panel reaching the
| other panel. Given that and your description of the 6285 internals I think
| he's dealing with a noise source that's internal to the apartment.

Alan did say in his initial posting that he had confirmed that the source
was external to his apartment in the usual way (i.e., by turning off all
his own breakers except for the one with the meter), but since he didn't
mention repeating the test with a different single breaker I suppose it's
possible that he was mistaken.  As I said, it's tricky to say without really
knowing what is going on.  I can only base my conclusions on the information
Alan has provided, taken at face value...

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com