Re: In-Wall Audio for One Room?

joelfinkle wrote:
> The SlimDevices seems nicer except for one thing: I'm already running
> UPnP via Windows Media Connect, adding another process to the ancient
> machine with all the storage and insufficient CPU and memory is
> probably a bad idea.

True, and the SqueezeBox doesn't do UPnP.

But computers are cheap. Way cheaper than contractors dragging wire :-)

The more recent SlimServer software has added features, and can't run
on the real ancient computers. But I ran for over a year on a P3-500
with some weird amount of memory, maybe 374MB

> Either case, it doesn't answer my question: I want to avoid putting an
> amplifier in my kitchen: its bulky and ugly and doesn't like having
> flour poured into it :^P

They do tend to get grumpy about that.

> * An under-cabinet stereo, but they don't generally have speaker
> outputs, depending on crappy little speakers in the unit

In a kitchen, do you need a lot of fidelity?
Powered speakers can be fairly small and some are even
marine rated. Folks have put a SqueezeBox upside down
so it can hang from the cabinet. A couple of
powered speakers and you're done.

If you're willing to drag wires, you can do anything.

--
Pat