Re: for Anand Dhuru

Anand,

If you look at p12 of the TDA5051A app note, it details coupling to 230V
mains with an LC bandpass filter (no transformer).

I've also seen AN236 (?) from Microchip which I think is the one you're
referring to. I've tried that coupling on a breadboard using a PIC12F683 and
found it difficult to get much signal to the powerline.

If you plan a serial interface to the PIC you'll need isolation.

I recalled another app note that uses the same Toko T1002N transformer but
with a transistor line amplifier. It's for the ST7537 which has been
replaced by the ST7538. These are FSK modems but I think you're mostly
interested in the line coupling.

     http://www.st.com/stonline/books/ascii/docs/1124.htm

Which PIC are you planning to use?