Re: X10 questions

#1: It really depends on the root cause(s) of the problem. It may be poor
coupling between phases, it may be that you have devices which are signal
sinks (i.e. that attenuate the 120kHz X-10 signal), it may be noise on the
powerline, or it may be a combination of two or more of these. Get an ESM1
signal strength meter. It will help you determine the cause(s) without so
much guesswork. AutomatedOutlet.com will even loan you an ESM1.

     http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php?productid=463&cat=0&page=1

#2: Cut a piece of stiff wire (e.g. from a coat hanger) ~18" long and tape
it horizontally to the wall at the top of the Slimline switches. You will
see a big improvement in their range.