Re: appliance module on an A/V receiver?

>My question is, is this bad for the receiver?  Is it designed to be
>powered on a specific way, and am I likely to damage it by surging it
>everytime, by cutting/restoring the power "at the line" as it were?
>Has anyone else done this w/ a device like this on a long term basis?
>
>Part of me says it shouldn't matter, but another part feels like
>essentially simulating a blackout/power-restore on a daily basis can't
>really be good for sensitive electronics.....

If the receiver is not a large consumer of power, it is probably OK.

I have several X10 appliance modules in my house in line with similar
loads and I have not had a problem in the last 6 years.  I also use
them to power up a Dell computer.    If anything, it saves money,
because the power consumption of the device becomes zero when OFF,
instead of having it's phantom circuits remain active 24 hours a day.

In the bad old days, power supply capacitors would dry out and have
short lives, but modern electronics have improved component
reliability.   Just applying power to a device does not necessarily
result in a power surge, and it is less likely still that that device
would be damaged by this.

Beachcomber