Signal bridge question?

A tech at Smarthome told me that a "Boosterlinc" on each phase with a
passive coupler is the same as an amplified coupler. Is this true? I
have 3 keypadlincs (with Boosterlinc) installed, 2 of which are on
different phases. If I install a passive coupler, have I basically done
the same thing as installing an amplified coupler? I know a hard wired
coupler/repeater at the panel is best but I don't want to do more than
what's needed! :) I also read where "repeaters" often create havoc with
"status requests", etc.? My keypadlincs control all my outdoor
lighting, and send "status requests" to each other. How does a repeater
handle all these commands? Does it wait until all commands are sent
including the "status requests", and then begins it's repeating
function? The "Boosterlincs" amplify in real time, and if combined with
a passive coupler, it seems more ideal...