appliance module on an A/V receiver?

I have a relatively modern A/V receiver with your typical "standby"
mode, so it's always powered, listening for IR signals.  Hitting the
power button the receiver itself powers it up/sends it back to standby
mode.

However, if you power it up, then unplug it, when you plug it back in,
it comes back on (instead of defaulting to standby mode).

This got me thinking that I could plug the whole receiver into an
appliance module, turn it on once, and then let the appliance module
control it from there...  I realize this means that while the appliance
module is "off", i won't be able to turn the receiver on from the
remote.

My question is, is this bad for the receiver?  Is it designed to be
powered on a specific way, and am I likely to damage it by surging it
everytime, by cutting/restoring the power "at the line" as it were?
Has anyone else done this w/ a device like this on a long term basis?

Part of me says it shouldn't matter, but another part feels like
essentially simulating a blackout/power-restore on a daily basis can't
really be good for sensitive electronics.....