Re: Timer recommendation for porch lights

"John Shepard" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'd appreciate any recommendations for a good, safe timer
> switch for porch lights.
>
> I recently tried out the Intermatic 15 Amp 120/240/277 Volt
> Digital 7-Day Programmable Time Switch only to find that it
> heats up! (the lights on the other side were two 60W bulbs).
>
> I like all the features that the Intermatic had but was
> disappointed with the excessive heat. BTW, the rating (volts,amps
> and power) matched the ordinary switch that I had on there
> before.

Assuming your timer is the SS8, it looks like it has a lot of capability.  I
would not be surprised that the unit is warm.  It probably uses a couple of
watts of power itself.  Your wall box may be plastic, which is a poor
conductor of heat.  If so, most of the heat dissipation has to come out
through the front panel, and it will be warm to the touch.

Because the unit is rated for 15A, it must use a relay to switch the load.
It shouldn't matter whether you have 120 watt load or a 1200 watt load.  But
if the unit does not use a latching relay, then there will be some
additional temperature rise when the relay is actuated and the load is on.

The older motorized timers probably dissipate less power, but they certainly
don't have the capability that the newer digital timers have.