Re: is it possible for x10 signal bridge to fail?

"Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

> >  What kind of X-10 gear do you have (makes and models)?
>
> Nothing unusual; an HAI transmitter, and a mix of switches and outlets
from
> PCS and Leviton.

That's enough devices from enough different manufacturer's that I would
definitely go the plug-in route with a repeater/coupler first.

If that restores you to normal, spend the money you saved on a sparky by
buying the Elk ESM-1 meter for X-10 - it's about $60 or so.  If you do run
into a bad signal sucker in the house, it will save you hours of frustration
trying to figure out which appliance is the problem.   I started with the
Elk and moved up the Monterey PLSA (about $240 or so) because I wanted a
greater level of detail than the Elk's LED bargraph display provided.
Either one is a necessity in the modern world of UPSs, CF bulbs and
transformless wall warts.  Someday Dave Houston will build a PLSA that puts
all others to shame (<wink> to DH) but until then, do consider a meter of
some sort.  They come in all prices ranges but the Elk's the best of the
cheapest.

> Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll try out the device you mentioned,
> along with some filters on the UPSs and surge protectors.

For the cost of three filters, consider buying a meter before filtering
stuff just by "device class."  For every UPS, wall wart and fluorescent bulb
I have that's a signal sucker or noisemaker, I have at least 4 other devices
of the same type that are not.  That means you have a one in five chance of
filtering the right device on the first shot.

Believe me, there's a definite "hunter psyche" in all of us and when you use
the meter to locate a problem device you'll feel just like the first caveman
to dig a pit to catch dinner.  It's a profound "gotcha!" sort of experience.
For me, doing X-10 without a meter is like putting up shelves without a
studfinder.  You can do it, but . . .

> combo will get me back to 100% as the house has grown to 60 or so devices,
> so we've gotten quite used to it all working.

Even more reason to get a meter.  I didn't know until I started reading hear
that every X-10 device that transmits is also a signal sucker.  It's not
much of a loss, but it accumulates.  It's why I recommend coupler/repeaters
to anyone with over 10 or so devices.

> thanks again,

You're welcome!  (BTW, I have no financial or other interest in any meter
makers or sellers.  I am just trying to save people the frustration I went
through when I first got into X-10.  If you read through Google, you'll find
I just hated X-10 when I got here but the posts of Dave H, Dan L, Bruce R
and others convinced me that X-10 works well if you have a meter and use it
wisely to filter what needs filtering. Just today I found another sucker:  A
GE CF bulb that's listed as 26W FLE26HT3/2/SW drops the X-10 signal on it's
branch from .20 to .10 and that's close the limit of reliable operation - OK
meter sermon over! <g> )

--
Bobby G.