Re: LampLinc 2000STW - mystery solved

news:42fc54c0.156557738@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I bought one of these when they were first introduced, placing my order
> before they were shipping. I then posted here that I was disappointed
> because it would periodically go deaf to the powerline while randomly
> flashing its LED. An LM465 & LM14A in the same circuit performed
> flawlessly.
> Using my scope card and ACT Scope-Test2, I could see nothing on the
> powerline to explain it but still suspected there was some noise (outside
> the Scope-Test2's bandwidth) that was bedevilling the 2000STW. (I've seen
> periodic reports from others that they've seen the same thing with this
> and
> similar LampLinc modules.)
>
> At the time, SmartHome asked if I'd be willing to be a beta tester and
> offered to replace the 2000STW and give me two more. I declined, saying
> that
> my health was too iffy to guarantee I could give it the time warranted.
> They
> replaced my 2000STW and gave me two more, anyway. All did the same thing
> but
> were OK if used in other circuits so I've been using one with a bedside
> lamp
> since then with only one glitch - a couple of weeks ago a brief power
> outage
> caused it to lose its address.
>
> Recently I tried the others again in the circuit that had given them
> trouble
> and they were OK. In the interval between the original and the latest
> trials
> I had given one of my PCs to a niece who was moving out of town. My guess
> was that the power supply on that PC was the culprit.
>
> Yesterday, while experimenting with various lamp modules (See the X-10
> Dims
> thread.), I dug out the unused 2000STWs. They were again OK.
>
> This morning, they both exhibited the deafness and flashing of the LED
> (although its now constant instead of random). Again, an LM465 and LM14A
> perform flawlessly in the same circuit.
>
> A few days ago I wiped out my printer and had to order a new one. The new
> one has a switch mode power supply. The 2000STWs are fine when in a
> circuit
> isolated from the printer.
>
> I think the 2000STW is overly sensitive to out of band noise.

Hey Dave..
I have a bunch of their lamplinc and appliancelinc modules and have several
with the same problem.  They work fine until the power goes off, when the
power comes back on they are as if they were reset.  They lose their
programming and code setting..Very frustrating, some of them are behind
heavy furniture..I emailed Smarthome and they said "sounds like your getting
surges, we recommend a whole house protector"..Well..I have two..One in each
panel...
Now we have had several power failures and most of them last only 1-2
seconds..But seems the only thing not liking this is the smarthome
modules...

Anyone else having similar troubles?
John