Re: Burnt Spot on Mini Controller

"dicko" <drwho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:k9d2f11lr1dri4m0qkoarjkqjf3vt00iis@xxxxxxxxxx
> Has anyone figured out how to keep the burnt/discolored/brown spot
> from appearing on the X10 Mini Controller escutcheon. It has appeared
> on every one I own.

I'd drill some air holes in the bottom of the case to start with because
there's no air flow in the case as-is,  I looked at fitting a thin aluminum
strip covered by electrical tape across the top edge of the case right over
the two diodes.   I just opened one up and there's room for almost an 1/8"
thick by 1" by 3.5" metal strip (a PC backplane cover is almost the perfect
size if you hacksaw the end off).  The problem is that there are lots of
sharp solder tails you would have to grind down with a dremel tool -
otherwise they would surely punch through even black electrical tape and
short the PCB.

http://www.geocities.com/ido_bartana/boardf.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/ido_bartana/modifying_mini_controller.htm

Since this part of the page talks about replacing the diodes, it gives the
part numbers.  The parts needed are an 18V zener diode and a 1N4002 diode.
It may be possible to find diodes with a larger body that can dissipate
better then the ones they use, but I'm not expert enough to recommend any.
I don't think that will help much because the heat generated will probably
be the same.  The diodes in the MC  look too small and cramped together to
take any sort of add-on heat sink.  Ideally, you could put dab of thermal
paste on them that put them into contact with small piece of aluminum but
that's got to be done with surgical precision.

I think the safest bet would be to drill air holes in the bottom of the case
right at the location of the diodes and then figure out where to put a hole
or two on the top of the case.  The heat of the diodes will create a
convection air current that might be enough to dissipate the heat better
than an unmodified case.

--
Bobby G.