Re: POTS and Ethernet over CAT-5 Cable

There is actually a lot of discussion about this in many engineering
circles. The general consensus is yes, Ethernet uses two pairs, which leave
two pairs left for another Ethernet circuit, POTS, audio, etc. The concern,
from what I have read in blogs is if you were to add something to the two
unused pairs that would create a high amount of energy (noise) that could
bleed over onto the Ethernet pairs causing packet errors and retries slowing
the link down, or even crashing it. A POTS line works fine except I have
heard of the ringing cycle causing issues, but that was on a CAT5 and not
CAT5-E cable.

Dan