Re: Household electrical current to Excel ???

Declan,

I've not seen any commercial solutions although there are a lot of
electrical meters (especially in Europe) that have the capability of
reporting usage either wirelessly or via RS-232. Some commercial building
owners have installed their own meters so they can charge tenants for power,
water, etc. Have you checked with your electrical utility?

There are several DIY solutions that tend to take one of two possible
approaches. One approach monitors the meter using IR to count the rotations
of the disc. Another uses specialized chips with current and voltage sensors
to make direct measurements several thousand times per second. Reactive
loads cause current and voltage to be out of phase so you need a way to
measure the true power rather than the apparent power.