Putting a system together: recommendations?

Hello all,

I've been browsing the web for a while, looking at different options,
and I'd like some advice on the following:

I'm looking for hardware and software recommendations. I will be moving
to a recent construction (2003) with incorporated cat5e. The house is
of typical US construction (wood/sheetrock). I will also have a linux
box running 24/7, although I would not mind having an independent
(USB?) controller. I also have a netgear b/g wireless router running.

My aims are to have the following:

Voice-controlled operation, voice messages from the computer on
speakers throughout the house (which should also be able to play
music). The speakers should also be selectable, so I can listen to
different music/paging in different rooms simultaneously.
How easy is it to install and run cabling for speakers? Which is a good
set (I've seen the M60 a lot) for PA & music? How can I do multi-zone
control?

Light control by web interface (and voice). Dimming is not a big deal,
since I plan to put CFL bulbs wherever I can. Also controlling some
basic appliances (eg automatic window blinds open/close, etc).

I would also like to have one or more security cameras running,
monitored via web server/TV.
Interface to TV, so I can watch movies on my network storage, etc.
If possible, also include control of the TV by the computer.

I'd also like to include various thermometers (eg Tini/iButton/PICs),
and would be happy to have PIC systems/controllers running the show.
Although, for lights, it seems X10 is pretty much the standard.

I'd also like to have it look as clean/professional as possible...  :)

As for software, I happy with anything that works; although I'm leaning
towards MisterHouse.

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Alex