coin operated TeeVee

I've been thinking of trying to make a coin operated tv to limit its
use by the kids, or at least compell us to think about how much tv we
watch.  I've got full spousal backing on this, so it occured to me that
I could use an x10 controller hooked up to our pc to do this, with some
sort of script that would let us put "time" in someone's tv account,
etc.

Just wondering if anyone has done this, or something like it, and if
the minimal startup costs would be less than the cost of an
off-the-shelf coinbox, about $80.

Thanks for tendering this n00b question.