Re: call home to listen to outdoor mic?

Viking Electronics www.vikingelectronics.com makes a RAD-1 device that
answers on the first ring and then bridges the phone line to another
phone line or phone device. They also make an HF-3W (hands-free
talkback) unit that can be used to eavesdrop.

If you don't want it to answer on the first ring, you could use their
RC-2A touch tone relay and enter a security code to bridge you into
your microphone or the HF-3W