Re: coin operated TeeVee

I personally would just give each kid an X10 compatible device (keychain
remote, security "panic" button, etc. depending on what hardware you
have available) and use that as their unique token. When they turn the
TV on with their token, a timer that deducts from their "allotment" is
triggered. When they shut it off with their token, the deductions stop.
If they turn it off without the token, the timer keeps running and kills
the power to the TV (thus enforcing the fact that you need to use your
token to start and stop watching).

None of the tokens should be set to directly turn the TV on or off.
Rather, they should be using unused RF or X10 codes which a home
automation PC can then use as the timer trigger. This requires a setup
like Misterhouse or one of the other software packages, which is how all
of my stuff is controlled anyway. The trigger (assuming Misterhouse) can
read in how much time that token has allotted, start the timer with that
amount and keep counting down until it has received an "off" event from
that token.

Personally, I'd go the RF remote route as it's easier to detect uniquely
without using up X10 addresses. Additionally, using X10 outlets instead
of appliance modules will let you completely kill the power to the TV
(and whole room if you replace all of the outlets). Much of the
implementation details will center around how draconian you need to be,
where the TV's will be, etc. For instance, if the timer kills the TV
through an appliance module and the kids just unplug the module and plug
the TV into the wall ...

1. is that likely?
2. if it happens, is it a big deal?

If both are true (as opposed to just wanting to mildly enforce family
rules that get forgotten as the hours in front of the TV roll by or
implementing something similar in a commercial context), your
implementation will be much more difficult and will probably require
locking the wall plug and the X10 outlet together somehow.

This all operates on a principle similar to how most folks use the
motion sensors for lights. Motion triggers the lights on and a timer
that either counts down until it expires or is renewed by further motion.

The X10 wall outlet will run $15-25 or so.

You didn't mention whether you already have an X10 software/computer
setup. If not, that will add to the cost, but neither as much as you
think or will it not be usable for future projects. My current home
automation box came from retrobox.com for $60 and I threw an old Win2K
license on it.

J Wynia
Myriad Intellect, Inc.
"Web technology that earns its keep."