Re: HomeSeer vs. HAL 2000

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 05:37:10 -0400, "Kenneth Murphy"
<murphy.laurie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote (with possible editing):

>Everyone seems to be talking about HomeSeer.
>
>How does it compare to HAL 2000?
>
>I am interested in motion detected digital video recording.
>
>Also, I would like to be able to ask for the weather and have it read to me.
>
>It seems like HAL can do this out of the box, but HomeSeer would take some
>extra modules?
>
>Thanks for any reviews.........KM

I can't do a side by side comparison, which is what you're looking
for, but I can tell you that HomeSeer support is somewhat lacking.  We
were considering becoming a dealer for them and ordered the upgrade to
1.7 for which we paid retail.  Then we ordered the HAI OmniPro module
as we have installed quite a few of them.  It did not work out of the
box.  I'm doing the testing.  I have tried to connect it to an HAI OP2
with several expansion cabinets.  While I can access the zones, I
cannot access the flags, so I'm better off doing all my programming
with the OP2.  HomeSeer has stopped responding to our email which has
been polite.

They also have an online forum.  I posted several questions there as
well, but there was nobody there with sufficient knowledge of the OP2.

No flame - just the facts.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com