Re: lonworks: MIP DPS lockup (MIP from echelon)

On 11 Apr 2005 07:09:23 -0700, lroy@xxxxxxxxxxx (lroy) wrote:

>I am looking for information on the MIP/DPS from echelon to fix the
>problem described below. In particular,  a web page on the MIP: "MIP
>Link Layer Timing" by Darron Fick.
>
>We have built a driver for a power PC to interface to a MIP. After as
>little as 1h30, the neuron stops transmitting. The length of time it
>lasts is proportional to application/network buffers. The number of
>messages that does not get back completion events seems to be
>equivalent to the number of application/network buffers. Normally, one
>message every 50ms is sent to the MIP. However, for the test reproduce
>the problem faster, the messages are sent has fast as the driver/MIP
>can take it (8 to 10 ms). The MIP does not receive any messages. The
>neuron is only plugged with a lonworks protocol analyzer. There are
>two threads in the driver one that reads and one that writes, however
>reads and writes are mutually exclusive. After the MIP stops
>transmitting, the driver seems to be able to talk to the driver and
>nodeutil can access the chip (for this particular test).
>
>If you have had a similar problem, it would be appreciated if you
>could tell me what you have done to fix. If you have any suggestion on
>what should be looked into, it will also be appreciated.
>
>Thank you in advance
>
>lroy@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
>Related subjects: MIP, DPS, MIP/DPS, echelon, lonworks, LON.

I have been involved with a product where the MIP driver occiasonally
locks up and needs to be reset.  I am not the software developer so I
cannot give you details about exactly how the code is implemented.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Does this problem occur with example code supplied with MIP
developers kit?

2) What development platform are you using to build the MIP image for
Neuron?

3) Where can I find the web page by Darron Fick?

regards,
Johnny.