Re: lawn sprinkler control unit repair

When on turned on control unit in the garage (had been shut down for
winter) all seemed fine, programed it like I do each spring, except
when I used the control unit to activate a sprinkler head, the unit
went dark. So I went outside and opened the box in the ground where
the wires are hooked to the valves. What I found is somehow the box
had filled up with wet dirt and covered all the valves and wires.
Could  the wet dirt have caused the inside unit to short out?  Do you
think if i dig out the valves and let them dry out the inside unit
might work again?