Re: best deal on lutron radio ra?

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:IMqdnQLzTKFf-O_fRVn-3A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> > X-10 will die a slow and deserved death.
>>
>> It's already been doing that for what, 40 years?  And yet it's still the
>> most widely used technology in the HA industry.  :(
>
> Yeah, and shit's the most widely produced substance on earth.  Quantity
> doesn't equate to quality.

I wasn't defending it.  I don't like X10 and I rarely even comment on it.  I
was only stating that I don't beliieve it's going away any time soon.

> That the market hasn't chosen something better
> has had many reasons.  Most of which could
> probably be summed up by price.  X-10 survived
> because it was cheap.

That's one reason.  It's also fairly simple to get started using X10 so a
lot of people have chosen it.  Most of the other technologies, up until just
recently at laeast, have entailed a steeper learning curve.  I believe that
Z-Wave will take a major chunk out of X10's pie over the next few years as
more products become available.

> Damn near anything else could succeed even
> if it only 'sucked differently' but it had the
> same price-point.  Sadly most other efforts
> failed to hit the right price point.

If price were the only concern there would be no Camry's or Odyssey's --
only Carollas and Civics.  I agree that price is one of the major points but
quality issues become more important as the price gap to the next level
narrows.  Look for better than current prices and a wider product array with
Z-Wave pretty soon.

> --- snip a bunch of stuff on which we agree ---

> I like that Radio RA has a friendly set of dimmers
> and scene controllers.

I don't like Lutron because of the lousy service -- no, make that the total
lack of service -- they gave my church when we had problems with a Lutron
commercial dimming system.  I also think that Radio RA is over priced.  Its
expansion capabilities are questionable, too.  When I tried to get answers
regarding an expanded RA's control capabilities I got a lot of
non-responsive replies from the RA salesman.  This was also indicative of a
poor attitude toward prospective clients and dealers -- enough to make me
stear clear as a dealer.

> I want something that just works, if it costs
> me a lot more then I simply want to find the
> best deal.

Same here.

--

Regards,