Re: Crestron FTP

"Davide" <dvdfrt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I thank you for all your answers.
> I agree that this policy is not fair. I am acquiring an expensive
> piece of tecnnology and I should be put in the condition to take
> avantage of all its features.

It's a tough call.  On one hand you're buying something expensive and it's
not unreasonable to have decent documentation *avaiable* for it, even at a
price.  On the other they're interested in making sure installations of
their products aren't train-wrecks that give them a bad name.  A DIY'er
fiddling around with what can be a very complex system not only generates PR
problems they also require greater budget for support costs.  "Trained"
professionals are often at least able to avoid making stupid calls that chew
up support costs.  Think about it your any profession, how is your
time/money better spent, dealing with learned clients or teaching newbies
the ropes?

That said, Crestron's practice of actively *preventing* the owner from
obtaining, let alone using, the documentation or software necessary to do
the job is ridiculous.  Beyond the bad public relations risk of a DIY'er
screwing it up is a LEARNED homeowner being actively prevented from freeing
themselves from the shackles of what might be a rather incompetent
installer.  Now instead of being able to help themselves the owner is faced
with being held hostage by exorbitant support costs and a general feeling of
being treated like they're too dumb to know better.  THIS will cost them far
more customers in the long run but vendor vision is often way too
short-sighted.

The trick is in getting past the early-adopter and high-end curve and
enjoying the benefits of economies of scale.  Crestron's been ridng their
wave fat and happy but at what point will it run out?  Given the emergence
of WiFi, tablet PCs and handhelds, DSL in the home and the like I'd say it's
not too far off.  Undoubtedly some of the staff at Crestron know this, it's
managment that's ignoring the obvious.  They do so at their peril.  People
at new vendors like Control 4 will eat their lunch.