Re: Anyone have a manual for a Dictograph 55-sm security system?

On Wednesday, November 29, 2023 at 11:15:06=E2=80=AFAM UTC-5, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 11/28/2023 10:13 PM, Jim Davis wrote:=20
> > On Tuesday, November 28, 2023 at 10:45:47=E2=80=AFAM UTC-5, petey wrote=
:=20
> >> his system requires NO monitoring solution, and no monthly fee. FIND M=
E A NEW SYSTEM with no monthly fees.=20
> >>=20
> >> helpful would have been answering his question, not "SHOWING RESTRAINT=
" (implied that he is stupid) because he does not want to pony up for a new=
 system. neither of your answers were answers in the LEAST.=20
> >>=20
> >> try selling systems elsewhere=20
> >>=20
> >> --=20
> >> For full context, visit https://forums.cabling-design.com/security-phy=
sical/anyone-have-a-manual-for-a-dictograph-55-sm-security-system-65487-.ht=
m=20
> > .=20
> > .=20
> > .=20
> > Actually, in the 50 years I've been in this trade I've never sold an al=
arm system to anyone I haven't spoken to face to face and in the 26 years I=
've participated in this forum, I have never tried to sell anyone a system,=
 Although I must say that I am just guessing, but if you think long and har=
d enough about it, you might have the intuition to know that I have no idea=
 where this gentleman is located. So exactly how could I "sell" him a syste=
m? How do I know what kind of house he has? How many doors and windows? How=
 many keypads? What kind of security is he looking for? Burg? Fire? Panic? =
How many people will be using the system? etc, etc etc.? If you think about=
 your snide remark, taking all that and more into consideration, "Try selli=
ng a system elsewhere" kind of doesn't make sense now, Does it?=20
> > .=20
> > Secondly, anyone who is considering utilizing a 40 to 50 year old alarm=
 system to protect his home, possessions, and conceivably, his and his fami=
ly's life, is not anyone who I would want to assist, advise or probably in =
real life, even want to talk to, considering the possible dire consequences=
 to him and the litigious ramification for me, should what I tell him to do=
, be the cause of his antique system not functioning when called upon. Cons=
idering what the purpose of an alarm system is, what it is protecting, the =
value of property and life, do you really want to use 50 year old electroni=
c device that can crap out any second when, for a couple of hundred dollars=
 you can have a reliable system? Why don't you do a Google search and look =
up the life expectancy of electrolytic capacitors? See what you come up wit=
h. Take a check and see how often open relay contacts need to be burnished =
to remain reliable. What is the life expectancy of a discreet component bri=
dge rectifier for a 6 or 12 volt DC power supply?=20
> > .=20
> > And thirdly, (again,) I'm guessing, from your comment " FIND ME A NEW S=
YSTEM with no monthly fees" that you have no idea how alarm systems work an=
d didn't spend enough time researching and figuring it out. I could be wron=
g, but personally, I know of no alarm system that cannot be used as a local=
 system only - -=20
> > WITH NO MONTHLY FEES" ! Most are available on line, very simple to inst=
all and have a multitude of modern day features. AND - - - - he would be pu=
tting his time to better use than to be wasting it searching the Internet f=
or ancient installation instructions that he will likely not find. And if h=
e DOES find them how long will it be until the system dies - - - anyway? Te=
chnical help, forums and documentation is readily available for all of the =
most popular new systems.=20
> > .=20
> > Lastly, I think that the few here who actually know about alarm systems=
 would not disagree that my suggestion of putting the old klinker over the =
door is still his most reliable long term option. In my opinion, at least h=
e'll know that it will work when called upon.
> Hi Jim,=20
>=20
> That is a lot of very astute typing that you have done!! Excellent=20
> thoughts and suggestions!!=20
> I am sorry to inform you that the original posting was about 5 years=20
> ago or maybe more.=20
>=20
> Look here:=20
> https://forums.cabling-design.com/security-physical/anyone-have-a-manual-=
for-a-dictograph-55-sm-security-system-65487-.htm=20
>=20
> The one sad thing about the technology of today is that OLD STUFF=20
> just won't go away!!=20
>=20
> Have a good rest of your week!!=20
>=20