Why Jobs Take Way To Freaking Long Sometimes - (Jim, You were wrong.)

If the AC is out in the house... well I have to fix that first. I could
tough out everything, but the disappoint of the other half.

I was wrong. I couldn't tough it out. Yesterday I was finishing up a
couple custom molds (deburr, press in pins, etc) so I could get them
shipped. By the time I set the packages in the drop box it was late in
the afternoon, but not so late I couldn't get a good start on the next
project. I sat down at my desk, turned to face the jobs board, and
thought, "It sure feels warm in here." I glanced over at the thermostat
and noted it was 93F'ing degrees in my office. I walked outside to see
if I could trouble shoot it really quick, and I was just about able to
kick the circuit breaker off and on to hear the contactor kick on. No
fan. No compressor and holy bejeebers its was way to F'ing hot to stand
in the sun working on the air conditioning. I don't know what the
temperature was, but the heat factor on the concrete next to that big
metal building was, "Hey stupid. Get out of the F'ing Sun." I headed
back to the house for a cold beer and called it a day.

This morning I started trouble shooting. I quickly found a blown control
fuse in the air handler, and after that the air handler would kick on as
would the fan in the condensing unit.

I thought it was fixed so I headed inside, but after 20 minutes it still
felt hot in the office. It was a hot 93F on the thermostat when I
looked. Time to break out the heat gun. The vents were kicking out 90+
degree air. A few years ago I had a wire come loose and had the system
pumping out hot air (heat pump default on condition is heat), so I
checked all the control wiring. Nope. All good. Alright time to power it
all down again. Dual run cap was bad on the compressor side. No place to
buy one on a Saturday, so I called a buddy who does AC work. He was out
on a service call, but promised me a heads up call when he got home. He
has a five gallon bucket full of new caps in his truck. I helped him
with an alarm issue a few months back and he absolutely refused to let
me pay for the replacement cap.

I popped over to the import store to burn up my 25% coupon, and finally
headed home. About two o'clock (maybe 2:30) I pointed the heat gun at
the vent and read from 59-64F degrees coming out. I glanced at the
thermostat and it still read 93F'ing degrees, but atleast now it was a
cool 93 degrees instead of a hot 93 degrees. I just sat at my desk for
the next hour as the temperature slowly dropped below sweltering trying
to get motivated to do... anything.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff