Re: Strange Things that Happen!!!

On 9/27/2022 11:52 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 9/27/2022 1:47 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>
>> LOL.  Years.. well decades ago we were running an 82A carrier over
>> several miles of open wire.  6 channel analog carrier for 6 POTS
>> lines.   Its not intended for open wire, but it worked mostly.  The
>> thing is it was plagued with intermittent noise.  My supervisor
>> finally found the problem.  He was climbing the poles one at a time
>> checking the insulators when he found a piece of bare copper wire
>> wrapped around the pole, and reaching out a ways to rub on one of the
>> wires.  When it was dry and the wind was dead calm there was no issue,
>> but if the wind was enough to make the wires move it would be noisy on
>> all 6 channels.  If it rained it would ground out and kill the
>> system.  Usually by the time we could get out after a storm to start
>> checking things it had dried enough that the system was working
>> again.  We replaced channel units, cross connect wire, and repeaters
>> before he finally found the problem.
>>

> ROFLOL!!  Those kind of problems will drive you nuts!!  In a past life
> as a Maintenance Supervisor in a Plastic Company, there was a DAY!!
>
> The operator on a extrusion line making American Standard Toilet
> overflow pipes that would be installed in the rear tanks.  The cutoff
> saw was cutting to length of about 9" +/- At some point the saw started
> to act up and in some way.  The operator came back the Maintenance Shop
> and told me the problem.  I grabbed some tools and walked out the saw.
> It was working just fine.............  I stood there for about 2 minutes
> which meant that it had cut about 40 or so pieces of pipe.  I shrugged
> my shoulders and started back to the shop.  I got about 20' away and the
> operator hollers out to me. "There it goes again!!!"  I turned around
> and went back and it worked just fine.................  Another 2 or so
> minutes went by and another 40 - 60 pieces were cut off.  I again
> started for the shop.  When I got about 20' away (I noticed that there
> was a concrete joint in the floor)  I stepped across the line and
> the operator hollered out again.  I walked back and again all was
> good. I explained to the operator that "I" can't fix what "I" can't see.
> Soooooo get another saw out of the equipment area and do a swap.  Bring
> this saw back to the shop.  I will tag it for inspection. I walked away!
> That afternoon I had my guy's pull the saw into the shop for a full
> inspection. Checked all wires, terminals, air cylinders for leaks, all
> bolts tight, everything secure, a complete look over.  They found
> nothing, zip, de'nada of anything wrong.  Placed the saw back into the
> equipment area and never heard another issue of any kind!!!
>
> I wanted to blame the crack in the floor. ;-)
>
> Les

I used to follow the HAAS Tip of the Day (lately its just sales hype) on
YouTube and they had an episode where they discussed just such issues.
I forklift going by on the shop floor would throw all the parts out of
spec.  (They were chasing a lot tighter tolerance than a saw.)  The site
wound up cutting out the floor and placing all their machines on
isolated poured in place concrete bases.

In another shop the machine was running on blocks on a compacted dirt
floor and meeting tolerance every time.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff