Re: USB Extender

On 3/14/2022 1:15 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> I've run into a new situation.
> I have a customer that is moving into a condo and I'm trying to help them set up their TV viewing. The lady is handicapped and will spend most of her time in the bedroom at the rear of the condo. There is only one cable connection at the front of the condo and that's where the cable box will be. There's no way to run a coax from the front of the building to the back, No attic access and no basement. Other tenants on both sides of their space. There is however an Ethernet cable that apparently was run in the past when the condo was being built. It fortunately runs from the front room where the cable box will be to the back bedroom.
> So  - - - - At the front of the condo where the cable box is, i can use an HDMI splitter and and HDMI extender to feed the TV in the back bedroom. No Problem!. BUT the big problem is, the cable box remote isn't IR. It's Bluetooth.
> I've searched the Internet and I can find wired Bluetooth extenders, but I can't find anything that will extend Bluetooth wireless.  - - -  a wireless Bluetooth extender.
> That is, - - - - The cable box remote control emits wireless Bluetooth to control the cable box and the box is way up in the front of the condo. The lady is home all day long mostly by her self and would like to be able to change the channels from her room with out having to get into her wheelchair.
> There are wireless IR extenders that have a receiver at one end that takes the output of the TV remote and wirelessly sends the signal to another room to an "IR Emitter" at the other end that recreates and emits the IR signal. But I don't see an equivalent for Bluetooth.
> Anyone got any ideas ??

Ok Jim,

Not knowing the layout and structure my only suggestion would be to run
another COAX cable from front to rear.  I know this will be a challenge
but IF there is carpet though out the condo.  And that is a BIG IF!!

I have run coax in the space behind the tack strip around a large room
and then when it came to the box plate location I have this Special Tool
that I pulled the carpet back, cut out a portion of the tack strip (8")
placed this tool up against the sole plate and connected my drill and
drilled a 3/8" hole through the drywall and sole plate and up the CENTER
of the sole plate and into the wall cavity and then pushed the Coax
through, terminated and connected to the wall plate at both ends and
done.  Only used this tool on this job and never needed it since.

Again this a BIG IF!!!  But if it is hardwood flooring Bah Bah Bah!!!

IF you think it is a possible solution I can see if I can find the tool
again or we can t-a-l-k about a different plan.

Let me know.

Les