Re: Silent Knight Selection Tool

On Wednesday, July 27, 2022 at 3:28:11 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 7/27/2022 12:32 PM, RTS wrote:=20
> > On 7/26/2022 7:31 AM, ABLE1 wrote:=20
> >> On 7/25/2022 8:54 PM, RTS wrote:=20
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> Rocky,=20
> >>=20
> >> WOW!!!  You must have had too much time on you hands in the '80's!!!=
=20
> >>=20
> >> You did make a point that was apparently heard.  Good JOB!!!=20
> >>=20
> >> Les=20
> >>=20
> >>=20
> > on another time,  I had one of those pencil pushers, inspecting after a=
=20
> > fire, a theater..=20
> > (The local fire chief was praising the FA for informing them before the=
=20
> > blaze got out of hand..)=20
> > So the State inspector was trying to razz me about the way I ran wires=
=20
> > in a closed "attic" walk way..=20
> > Tried to tell me it had to be in conduit because the "public" could get=
=20
> > to it..=20
> > It just so happened, that was the spot where the fire had started..=20
> > (a blow back from a gas heater which had, had its safety covers removed=
..)=20
> > (remember the old attic heat sensors, that used 2 bare copper wires=20
> > twisted with "scotch tape" as the separator, once it got hot the tape=
=20
> > melted and a short occurred)=20
> > Well that's how the FA had been tripped, when the fire melted the=20
> > insulation on one of the loop wires..=20
> > I pointed that little tid-bit out to the junior g-man,=20
> > Nothing more was said about the way I ran wires...=20
> > (I understand his report was kicked back 3 times before the main office=
=20
> > accepted it for filing...)=20
> > ..=20
> > the ole saying still holds true,  "If you don't know how to do anything=
,=20
> >  become a state employee, or even better an "Inspector".=20
> >=20
> > RTS=20
> >=20
> >
> I love the final "quote"!!=20
>=20
> My last fire inspection a 3 Story Building was a Upgrade to a system=20
> that was installed in the 60's. The Fire Inspector kept pointing out=20
> certain wires that were part of the original install and were not=20
> caulked at wall or ceiling penetrations. I had to tell him that is=20
> NOT my wire. All MY NEW wires runs were caulked everywhere I had=20
> to run them!!=20
>=20
> He just grumbled and approved the install. He had also inspected the=20
> new sprinkler install. And they had the drop ceiling open so he saw=20
> [...]
HA!
I just   L O V E  to hear all of these "fire alarm" stories.
It makes me SOOOOOO00000000oooooooo! happy that after  being blind sided a =
couple of times by the local AHJ I told him to shove his stupid rules and r=
egulation up is ass.=20
Never did another commercial fire system again. I decided that I no longer =
wanted to spend and waste my valuable time following their stupid "whims" w=
hen I could be doing installations and actually making money instead of doi=
ng paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. And although I was getting paid - - - -=
  it didn't ever seem like it was enough and worth it.That was about 30 yea=
rs ago and I've never looked back or regretted it.=20
.
The last straw:
I don't know if you have them in your area but around here they have busine=
sses called Tutor Time pre schools. I was doing them for commercial fire. I=
'd have an electrician run most of the wire. Typically they'd choose one st=
ory buildings to occupy. However, one time they chose an industrial buildin=
g with twenty foot trussed ceiling. They built the classrooms with eight fo=
ot ceilings and put HVAC and other utilities above the drop ceiling. Normal=
ly fire detection would be on the trusses in an open building but with a dr=
op ceiling throughout, there was no way component inspections could take pl=
ace without taking down extensive sections of the drop ceiling every time. =
Prior to installation I asked the fire marshal how he wanted this problem a=
ddressed. He said put all the fire sensors in the classrooms, and since it =
wasn't a plenum HVAC just using duct smoke's was fine as long as all combus=
tibles were removed from above the drop ceiling. The whole building was com=
pleted. The final FA inspection was delayed but I (fortunately ) asked for =
and received my final payment. When the (different)  fire marshal finally g=
ot there weeks later he said=20
- - - - No. The sensors had to be put on the trusses above the drop ceiling=
 and he didn't care if the drop ceiling had to come down for inspections an=
d if someone told us different did we get it in writing? I looked at the ow=
ner and the GC who had been with me at the beginning and who had heard what=
 the original fire marshal had said and shrugged my shoulders. When he woul=
dn't relent I said to the owner and GC  " I'm gone. It's in your hands now"
And to the fire marshal my famous last words =20
The building finally opened for business so they either paid off someone of=
 contested the ruling - - - - - I don't know - - - - - or care.
The End.=20