Re: Unusual Challenge

On 1/30/2022 10:19 PM, John R. Sowden wrote:
> On 1/13/22 20:00, ABLE1 wrote:

>>> Whenever I have a need to check the current status of a battery,
>>> I use a static resistance load..
>>> First you need the discharge rate sheet from the manufacture.
>>> Then a meter to read the static voltage on the cell
>>> Second another meter to read the current from battery to load
>>> Third a rated load (resistor) I use different resistors to make up
>>> the discharge current as listed on the manufacturers discharge sheet.
>>> (take care to use a high enough wattage rating on your resistor)
>>>
>>> Then just add the load to the battery and monitor the discharge
>>> rates on the meters..
>>> Compare your reading with the manufacturers sheet..  ;-)
>>>
>>> you can do the same thing using the device as the load..
>>> giving you a better idea of battery life expectancy ...
>>>
>>> Isn't that fun.. ?
>>> RTS
>

>> Then again you could get one of these and test the battery much easier.
>> ZTS MBT-1 Pulse Load Battery Tester
>> Search on eBay!!  $95.00
>>
>> Have fun!!
>>
>> Les
>
> I think these methods are for a Gell Cell that is rechargeable. Actually
> about 30 years ago I took a millameter from an Ademco 1005 control, put
> a shunt resistor across it, and a set of clip leads connectd to the
> meter terminals.  I just laid it across the battery for a couple of
> seconds to measure the battery voltage under load.
>
> This is a different situation.  The battery under test is a dry cell and
> I am trying to test the battery without depleting the energy left in it.
> Oh, and I and too fruglly chalenged to spend 95.00 to do what I did for
> 0.00 and a bit of my time.
>
> I contacted several lithium battery mfg. and no one knew how to test the
> battery.
>
> John

As best as I can understand your request then.

The only useful part of the battery you'll be able to test is the
potential (ie, it's holding voltage)
Not it's working wattage available..

It might be possible to check the chemical potential inside the battery,
to see how much reactant potential might be available, but I have no
idea how you might be able to accomplish that without dissembling the
battery..

Just put you volt meter across the terminals and see what you got..
If the case markings say 6 volts, and you read 6-6.5 volts,
odds are you still have a working battery.
If the meter reads 5.75 or less volts, it still might work , but not for
long under load..

For reference, I once bought a case of carbon/zinc "D" cells,
meter test said they were all good (1.65 volts)
However none would power anything..
I took one apart and found that the carbon rod in the center was broken..
That in itself was the problem, no path way for the batteries "voltage"
to develop a current flow...

Hope all that helps with you request....

RTS

--

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*