Re: Unusual Challenge

On 1/30/2022 11:19 PM, John R. Sowden wrote:
> On 1/13/22 20:00, ABLE1 wrote:

>>> Whenever I have a need to check the current status of a battery,
>>> I use a static resistance load..
>>> First you need the discharge rate sheet from the manufacture.
>>> Then a meter to read the static voltage on the cell
>>> Second another meter to read the current from battery to load
>>> Third a rated load (resistor) I use different resistors to make up
>>> the discharge current as listed on the manufacturers discharge sheet.
>>> (take care to use a high enough wattage rating on your resistor)
>>>
>>> Then just add the load to the battery and monitor the discharge
>>> rates on the meters..
>>> Compare your reading with the manufacturers sheet..  ;-)
>>>
>>> you can do the same thing using the device as the load..
>>> giving you a better idea of battery life expectancy ...
>>>
>>> Isn't that fun.. ?
>>> RTS
>

>> Then again you could get one of these and test the battery much easier.
>> ZTS MBT-1 Pulse Load Battery Tester
>> Search on eBay!!  $95.00
>>
>> Have fun!!
>>
>> Les
>
> I think these methods are for a Gell Cell that is rechargeable. Actually
> about 30 years ago I took a millameter from an Ademco 1005 control, put
> a shunt resistor across it, and a set of clip leads connectd to the
> meter terminals.  I just laid it across the battery for a couple of
> seconds to measure the battery voltage under load.
>
> This is a different situation.  The battery under test is a dry cell and
> I am trying to test the battery without depleting the energy left in it.
> Oh, and I and too fruglly chalenged to spend 95.00 to do what I did for
> 0.00 and a bit of my time.
>
> I contacted several lithium battery mfg. and no one knew how to test the
> battery.
>
> John

Hi John,

Every battery that I know of has a life.  Trying to squeeze out every
last electron can be a PITA and as such, is it worth the time to do so??

I have this tester to test batteries that I am involved with on a daily
basis.  Alkaline, Lithium, LiPo, CR123a, CR2032, AA, AAA, 9 volt and
many others.

Before I had this tester I would use my volt meter or just replace with
new depending on the situation and guess??  Now I use the tester to test
the batteries before I install them to verify that they are 100%.
I have found a Dead Battery in a pack of NEW from time to time.
Very Frustrating!!  But it happens!!

Yes, the cost is $95 but in MY opinion it is worth every penny.

You may and apparently do see it another way...................

Have a good week!!

Les