Re: Hik Vision Phone apps for CCTV not working

On Sunday, April 10, 2022 at 8:50:03 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 4/10/2022 4:09 PM, Jim Davis wrote:=20
> > On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 4:55:03 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:=20
> >> On 4/9/2022 1:28 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:=20
on-the-discontinuation-of-ivms-4500-software-and-hiddns-service/=20
> >> You are right Bob!! Which is how I set them up with Port Forwarding.=
=20
> >> Which is why mine are working after the shutdown. I have been=20
> >> investigating since the other day and I it seems you beat me in postin=
g=20
> >> here. Now I can sleep tonight.=20
> >>=20
> >> Thanks!!=20
> >>=20
> >> Les=20
> > Well, "back then" (prior to P2P setup) all I did was port forwarding.=
=20
> > HOWEVER - - - even though - - - I've got three (port forwarded ) system=
s down (that have called me so far) and as I try to get on to some of my ot=
hers myself, I see that I can't get into them either.=20
> > I don't know what's different about your port forwarding. So obviously =
my "fickle finger" curse is still working.=20
> > I'm not calling any of the people who haven't called me. Just trying to=
 avoid an avalanche of calls all at once. I've got about 20 out there. I'm =
going to one of the ones that called this coming week to switch them over t=
o Hik-connect. It's a system that I'll be able to have easy access to for a=
 few hours if necessary. I'll do the other two who called me then I'll call=
 the rest of them one by one after i learn the process and I can get in and=
 out of each of them quickly.=20
> > As you say,=20
> > As if I don't have anything else to do ! |:-(
> If you used a DYNDNS service from HIK Vision I am sure it would be down=
=20
> as well.=20
>=20
> Also remember most residential broad band services do not have a static=
=20
> IP address (and not all commercial either). Some will have an IP that=20
> changes every time they connect. Phone companies are terrible for this=20
> as they want to sell static IPs as an extra. A lot of cable carriers=20
> use a persistent IP. Generally it doesn't change, but if hardware is=20
> down, or you power cycle the modem it can change. Or it can just change=
=20
> if they think you are running a server and they want to screw with you.=
=20
>=20
> You have to know the public IP address or use a DYNDNS service and=20
> something on the network that checks in with it so the DYNDNS service=20
> can name associate with whatever the current IP address is. When I=20
> first started using DYNDNS we had to use a client program running on a=20
> PC for checking in, but later DVRs and NVRs had their own check in=20
> client built in. Often preprogrammed with a DYDNS server owned by the=20
> hardware company.=20
>=20
> You may have it setup with port forwarding, but the DYNDNS server you=20
> used may be down. If you just used the public IP at the time it may=20
> just be that you are only now discovering its not a static IP.
> --=20
> https://www.avg.com
All but one is residential but even so there are no static IP addresses. So=
 all were dynamic DNS. Some have been in for 6 years and working fine. Now =
all of them that were using IVMS4500 have stopped working. I have three ins=
tallations that are using HIK-Connect app and they're still working. All of=
 them (using either App) were set up with port forwarding and dynamic DNS.
Once HIK  Vision got hacked I stopped using them and now use INVID, a compa=
ny based here in the US near me in NY. At that time, HIK Vision was still u=
sing port forwarding But INVID was using P2P. Which is child's play to set =
up. And get this !  I can actually get on the telephone and talk to an Engl=
ish speaking tech who'll stay on the phone with you and actually walk you t=
hough, step by step, to solve a problem. Even if it involves another mfg;s =
equipment in the system. And I don't have to sit on hold for a half hour or=
 more.
.
When I first became aware of this present problem I thought that maybe HIK-=
Vision was just shutting down their servers in retribution for the Federal =
Government banning their use in all federal installations a few years ago a=
fter they got hacked. So I thought that maybe I was going to have to change=
 out all of the NVR's. INVID rep sat down with me and showed me the process=
 on how to transition HIK Cameras over to one of their NVR"S Not a straight=
 forward process. Then, as I looked into it more, I found out that HIK-Conn=
ect would work. Should be trying to convert my first one sometime this week