Re: Hik Vision Phone apps for CCTV not working

On 4/10/2022 4:09 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 4:55:03 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:

>>> Its been a while, but the last HIK Visions system I installed could
>>> still use port forwarding.  For business customers most have a static
>>> IP.  For residential customers there are both paid and unpaid accounts
>>> at DYNDNS.org.
>>>
>> You are right Bob!! Which is how I set them up with Port Forwarding.
>> Which is why mine are working after the shutdown. I have been
>> investigating since the other day and I it seems you beat me in posting
>> here. Now I can sleep tonight.
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Les
> Well, "back then" (prior to P2P setup) all I did was port forwarding.
> HOWEVER - - -  even though - - - I've got three (port forwarded ) systems down (that have called me so far) and as I try to get on to some of my others myself,  I see that I can't get into them either.
> I don't know what's different about your port forwarding. So obviously my  "fickle finger" curse is still working.
> I'm not calling any of the people who haven't called me. Just trying to avoid an avalanche of calls all at once. I've got about 20 out there. I'm going to one of the ones that called this coming week to switch them over to Hik-connect. It's a system that I'll be able to have easy access to for a few hours if necessary.  I'll do the other two who called me then I'll call the rest of them one by one after i learn the process and I can get in and out of each of them quickly.
> As you say,
> As if I don't have anything else to do  !      |:-(

If you used a DYNDNS service from HIK Vision I am sure it would be down
as well.

Also remember most residential broad band services do not have a static
IP address (and not all commercial either).  Some will have an IP that
changes every time they connect.  Phone companies are terrible for this
as they want to sell static IPs as an extra.  A lot of cable carriers
use a persistent IP.  Generally it doesn't change, but if hardware is
down, or you power cycle the modem it can change.  Or it can just change
if they think you are running a server and they want to screw with you.

You have to know the public IP address or use a DYNDNS service and
something on the network that checks in with it so the DYNDNS service
can name associate with whatever the current IP address is.  When I
first started using DYNDNS we had to use a client program running on a
PC for checking in, but later DVRs and NVRs had their own check in
client built in.  Often preprogrammed with a DYDNS server owned by the
hardware company.

You may have it setup with port forwarding, but the DYNDNS server you
used may be down.  If you just used the public IP at the time it may
just be that you are only now discovering its not a static IP.

https://www.avg.com