Re: Unusual Challenge

On 10/21/2021 10:09 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 10/21/2021 10:30 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
>> On Thursday, October 21, 2021 at 6:58:58 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
>> Damn !
>> After all that freekin "rambling" that Bob did - - - - - - I got
>> almost nothin cept try attachin a longer wire to the antenna.
>> Or, maybe tie a long string from the doorknob to a bell or the dogs
>> scrotum in the other building.
>>
>> On the serious side, I presume you are using closed circuit mag
>> contact on the door and you are  using the Altronics 6060 timer
>> relay.  Did you remember to put the 1K resistor across the positive
>> and TRG terminal? You can futz around a little with that resistor
>> value to make sure the trigger circuit isn't getting to much or little
>> bias voltage. (750 ohm / 1.2K ohms) It's possible that the relays
>> components tolerances have shifted a little or the contact has
>> accumulated a little more resistance than when you first installed it.
>>
>> That's all I got !
>
> Thanks Jim,
>
> No I did not install a resistor on the timer.  I did not think it
> was necessary for a dry contact closer for the trigger.
>
> I may be wrong on that but I will investigate and modify as needed.
>
> I like the long string thought.  I will need to mention this to the
> customer then next time I am there.
>
> Again I am holding for one other to chime in before the revel.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Les
oops,  my bad,  I thought I'd read where you'd already found the problem
and was just feeling out for opinions for a future cure...

Saying all that,
You were a little quick on blaming the transmitter / receivers as the
problem..
When the problem reappeared after you changed the batteries.
I'd have looked into the timer trigger, and then into the door switch...
I have had problems with Altronix timers in the past...
(at least 2 with fading capacitors in the RC ckt, causing the timer to
shift timer setting with age)
And I've also had problems with door switches...
(had a whole bag of switches with loose connections of the reed and wire)
At any rate, if the setup had been working for some time, then started
acting strange, a component in the setup could be the fault and or the
environment might have changed.
Just one of those little oddities that makes this line of work so
entertaining..
RTS

--

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*