Unusual Challenge

Hey Guys,

Would like some thoughts on the following challenge.

Customer has a showroom/office in one building and the shop in another
that is 70 feet away.  They wanted to have a way to get notified in the
shop that a potential customer came into the showroom.

What I installed was a door contact switch on the entry door and wired
a Linear DXT-31 transmitter and a Linear DXT-701 Receiver in the shop.

 From there I used the contacts on the receiver to trigger and Altronix
timer and the contacts there to trigger a horn/buzzer for about 1 sec.
when the door was opened.

It has worked quite well for some time but, recently I was told that
it did not respond to ALL entering the showroom.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and it was working but the the CR2032
batteries were about 60% level and I changed to new.  Tested the
batteries were at 100%. OK.

I was then informed yesterday that it was still missing some entries.

I stopped in today and first I tested the door 3 times and it did not
work.

I tested the batteries.  They were at 100%

I removed the transmitter and went to the shop and it worked 5 times
in a row.  Or let's say 100%  I put the transmitter back in the attic
above the showroom where it was but staff was in a meeting so I could
not test.

Was told later that they tried it and it did not work a total of 3 times

Now the receiver has a wire about 7" long as a antenna.  I have
it hanging over the edge of a window so that the walls would not block
the RF signal. The Transmitter is in the attic space on a vertical
2x4.  The only thing that might block the signal would be the plywood
and asphalt shingles on the roof, 70' of distance, bug screen and glass
window.

Needless to say this is a intermittent problem that is NOW not working!!

So, any thoughts on this before I type something that really made a
difference this afternoon.

Thanks for any thoughts!!

Les