Re: Power Cycle

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 4:14:38 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 3/28/2021 3:16 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:=20
> > On 3/27/2021 8:03 PM, ABLE1 wrote:=20
> >> On 3/27/2021 4:58 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:=20
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> Excelente se=C3=B1or Bob!!=20
> >>=20
> >> Por cierto, obtuve F en mi clase de espa=C3=B1ol II.=20
> >>=20
> >> Yo no hablo espa=C3=B1ol =C2=A1Google es genial!=20
> >>=20
> >=20
> > Yo dise no hablo espanol. Yo comprende chance veinte o treinta=20
> > palabras, pero cuando con muchos hombres todos hablando Espanol yo=20
> > comprende mas. Mi gramtico es muy malo. Por favor pardon mi dialecto=20
> > fronterizo. Acabas de leer casi todas las palabras que s=C3=A9. Bueno, =
los=20
> > educados de todos modos.=20
> >=20
> > I speak what I call immersion Spanish. If I spend all day in Mexico I=
=20
> > start understanding what people are saying. Unfortunately I also pick=
=20
> > up the accent, and they think I am a native speaker and start speaking=
=20
> > at their normal rate. Then I can't follow along. If you ask me to=20
> > translate something on the fly I'm lost. I did have to use BING=20
> > translate for the last two sentences above. I did take two semesters of=
=20
> > conversational Spanish in college. It didn't really teach me anything=
=20
> > and I was constantly getting marked down for using improper border=20
> > dialect or words that are only regional in usage. For example combio is=
=20
> > typically the proper word for change, but I would say feria which is a=
=20
> > local/regional word for change. Tu feria es dos dollares y=20
> > treinte-nueve centavos.=20
> >=20
> >
> LOL In high school I just got by in Spanish I. Then in my senior year=20
> three other guys and myself realized that we all had one extra credit=20
> more than was needed to graduate. We decided to blow off Spanish II.=20
> We sat in the back in the room and played cards for the class the=20
> whole year. The teacher was Mrs. Evans. Lovely lady, mid to late 20's=20
> good looking!! Every so often she would have to stop teaching and would=
=20
> call out to back of the room. She would say; "Ok, you unholy 4 keep it=20
> down back there." Needless to say straight F's the whole year.=20
>=20
> The funny thing is that there was a Sadie Hawkins Day Dance. This is=20
> where everyone dressed in the Li'l Abner era costumes for the dance.=20
> The Spanish Club set up a booth to take Polaroid pictures for a fee to=20
> make money for the Club. I didn't have a date but showed up just to see=
> [...]

Growing up in New York - - - - my teen years in the 50's put me at the begi=
nning of the influx of the Puerto Rican invasion of New York City. Had a lo=
t of Puerto Rican friends and girl friends. (OH! I'll never forget loosie L=
ucy. Why are Latin girls so hot?) =20

Anyway, I learned a lot of individual words which I can't and never could s=
pell. Most of them were profanities or more important things like  "Here co=
me the cops"  or "shut the F%$& up!" or "give me a cigarette" .  And Lucy t=
aught me (among other things) How to say "i love you" and the name of vario=
us body parts. Most of which I've forgotten how to say now.=20

I probably should have paid more attention because now with this new (?) So=
uth American invasion,  it pisses me off that I have to press  " 1 " for En=
glish. or listen to TV ads in Spanish or have to flip the paper over three =
times to try to find the English version of installation instructions. And =
then to find out that English isn't the official language in the US    - - =
- - - REALLY - - - - tops it off.