Re: Helper Woes

On 1/27/2021 6:21 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 1/26/2021 11:24 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
>> My experience just about mirrors Les's. Except I'm much better looking
>> than he is.
>>
>> I've been in this trade since 1969 and have had many different kinds
>> of employees. Some (very few) were actually good. But right off the
>> bat, if you've hired a good one you know that they're going to find
>> out that they're good soon and will go out looking for better pay and
>> benefits. When I was in my heyday, I could afford to pay more and give
>> more but there is always someone out there who can offer more. And
>> additionally, more times than I can remember, as soon as one of them
>> could install a number of panels, they learned some installing
>> techniques, was able to trouble shoot on some service calls, they
>> would up and leave and next thing you know there's a new company in
>> the area and guess who owns it?
>> .
>> Well typically they sell a few dozen systems to their friends,
>> neighbors and relatives and now it's time to learn how to market and
>> actually sell a system and it's time to do the taxes and the licensing
>> and the book keeping and the insurance, and buying parts and
>> scheduling jobs and dealing with employees  - - - - -  TADA TADA TADA
>> The big question is - - - - now that we've seen you install and
>> trouble shoot the hardware, can you run a business?  So that lasts
>> about a year or so and next thing you hear is that they've sold/given
>> their accounts to their central station because they couldn't keep up
>> the payments - - - because they couldn't keep up with the taxes,
>> because they couldn't keep up with payroll  - - - TADA TADA TADA. Now
>> they're to embarrassed to come back and ask for a job so they've opted
>> to go with a National or Freebee alarm company where they can use
>> their tremendous experience on their resume and get a job where they
>> can hide and get away with only doing the least of what should be
>> done. They actually think that all there is  to running a company is
>> installing the equipment. Well, actually - - -  they don't think.
>> .
>> I gave that all up about 15 years ago ( maybe more, I've forgotten). I
>> finally figured out that I was working 10,12, 16 hours a day chasing
>> after incompetent people and not doing what I liked to do.  I've never
>> looked back and never regretted it. I'm of the same mind as Bob, - -
>> -  there are some people who have the knack of getting people to work
>> competently for them. I don't have it. I'm not one to do a half assed
>> job or be able to tolerate people who do. Now, when I do installations
>> time is not a issue. How ever long it takes me to do the job and do it
>> right is the amount of time spent. I couldn't tell you how much I make
>> an hour. I take a check once a month for the same amount, for to many
>> years to count.
>> .
> [...]

To be straight up I never really wanted to be a contracting business
owner to start with.  I wound up as one thru a series of events.  I
enjoyed being a technician and solving problems.  I think the only
reason I stayed in the business as long as I did was stubbornness and ego.

I had a growing business as a computer service tech willing to work on
machines other people wouldn't (or didn't know how) working out of my
house.  (I had a huge inventory of old parts and boards nobody else had
too.)  All the regulars here have read the story about how I wound up
owning an alarm business instead I am sure before.

https://www.avg.com