Re: Helper Woes

On 1/25/2021 10:08 PM, Airdorn wrote:
> Lately it's been very hard to rely on help. IE, good help seems increasingly hard to come by.
>
> Because of some tragic events, we had to cherry pick an installer to transition to a service tech role. This was about 2 years ago. It hasn't gone well.
>
> Latest example: The other day, this tech was tasked with hooking up a new customer that had an existing Concord 4 system, something we generally don't deal with but not beyond our ability to monitor.
>
> Today I had a service call to go check that new customer's system because it was acting strangely. What I found was shocking, and makes me wonder if it's time to clean house and get some new help.
>
> The other tech has never dealt with a Concord 4, but he proceeded anyway. He installed one of our generic summary-only communicators on the system and tested it. It worked fine. He used his phone to look up how to change the master code on the panel. He was able to complete this because the customer happened to know the existing code. Our tech then left the call.
>
> Today, I found the Concord 4 in a trouble condition. The previous alarm company had alarm.com installed, which includes an integrated communicator that enrolls as a superbus device.
>
> I used my laptop with an EEPROM reader to discover the installer code, accessed programming, changed the installer code and deleted the alarm.com superbus device. The thing works perfectly now.
>
> I'm dismayed that my fellow tech either didn't know or care (or both!) to make sure any previous company comm is removed, and left a new hook up without knowing the installer code and, thus, having full control over the system.
>
> It hasn't always been like this. Us technicians used to kind of battle it out constantly, in a friendly way, as far as to knowledge and know-how.
>
> My question is, is this my own unfortunate experience or are others seeing a general decline in quality and care about their tech work?

Hi Airdorn,

My sympathies!!

There was a day when I had employees.  My company is not a nearly as
large as yours.  I made a decision about 10 or so years ago that I was
working harder with an employee than without.  I decided to let the last
one go.  Now, when I need help to pull a wire or two to call some of
my friends that have their own business to give me a few hours or a day.
I then get a bill and happily pay it.  One has a Awning Business and
another has his own Electrical Company.  The guys I use have a excellent
work ethic as I do and we work well together.  A lot of times they are
doing the next part of the job before I even start to think what it is.
Basically we work as a TEAM!!  Not the other way around.

I could type a lot of stories, but I am sure you have a lot more as
you have already have shared.  I hope you find the right guys.
Unfortunately you will never know what the can or can't do until
you have put them on payroll.

As I have said for a long time.  An employee that shows up on time,
does the work right the first time, effectively learns from their
mistakes, is very efficient and does it consistently absolutely
DESERVES to be compensated for their time!!

However, if an employee shows up late, is slow at the job, makes
lot's of mistakes and can't learn from them, and do overs, IS
absolutely REQUIRED to be compensated for their time!!

I hope you understand my capitalizing of certain words.

Good Luck with all and have a better rest of the week!!

Les