Re: Vista 20P 5800 series wireless InSaNiTy!

On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 9:06:35 PM UTC-5, RTS wrote:
> On 1/16/2021 3:56 PM, Airdorn wrote:=20
> > On Fri Jan 15 09:55:33 2021 RTS wrote:=20
> >> On 1/15/2021 12:34 AM, Airdorn wrote:=20
> >=20
> > [MY LONG SOB STORY DELETED FOR BREVITY]=20
> >=20
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> Howdy, Try a good ground on the vista panel box..=20
> >> with all the new "smart" electronic gadgets in modern homes=20
> >> RF noise imposed on the clocking of the processor might=20
> >> cause the random actions..=20
> >> Your odd behavior only happens "after" a legitimate signal=20
> >> is received, "Right"?=20
> >> Which would make me think the processor is acting normally=20
> >> but is then hijacked by random RF noise "hacking" the clocking=20
> >> data stream.=20
> >> (either in the cabinet or along the wiring from receiver to panel)=20
> >>=20
> >> This could be hard to pin point.=20
> >> But a RF spectrum analyzer might be able to spot RF noise=20
> >> sources in the immediate area..=20
> >>=20
> >> RTS=20
> >>=20
> >> --=20
> >>=20
> >> *Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*=20
> >>=20
> >=20
> > RTS -=20
> >=20
> > Good idea, I'm going to try that when I go back to the customer's house=
 to address the problem.=20
> >=20
> > Thanks for your insight!=20
> >=20
> >
> if all your systems with problems have a receiver outside the panel=20
> box, you could try torid traps on the yellow/green wires going from the=
=20
> panel to receiver..=20
> that might help with the RF on the leads..
> RTS=20
>=20
> --=20
>=20
> *Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*
Hi Rocky,
You (sorta) beat me to it. But great minds think alike!=20
I don't and haven't used (Ademco) Honeywell products or wireless products s=
ince the 5600 wireless days. But Napco has an earth ground terminal on thei=
r receiver. So, to the OP Airdorn, I'd suggest try using an earth ground an=
d or a shielded cable on the wire between the panel and the receiver. (and =
possibly any other exposed wire ( have to experiment))=20
With regard to this happening randomly, if there IS a strong RF source in y=
our area such as a major airport or government base, etc. remember that eac=
h length of wire is (in effect) an antenna of sorts and makes grounding  an=
d shielded cabling all the more important. And if those possible sources of=
 RF ARE in your area, how do they relate geographically to where your alarm=
 systems were installed? You can try 1000PF capacitors to ground at various=
 points also.

Had a similar problem years ago with wired  (not wireless) PIR detectors at=
 miscellaneous locations. Motion detector of a couple of manufacturers woul=
d just sit there with no movement and go into multiple activations over a p=
eriod of time. I had to sit there for hours watching the detector before I =
witnessed what was happening. Shielded cable and tinfoil inside the case of=
 the PIR cured it but we never did find what the source was. We suspected t=
hat it might have been a Taxi cab company's two way radios but we just didn=
't have the resources to prove it.