Re: The _________ Is Beeping

On 4/13/2021 10:55 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 10:41:56 PM UTC-4, Airdorn wrote:
>> On Sun Apr 11 11:03:56 2021 Bob La Londe wrote:
>>> I have had customers tell me the ___________ is beeping in the middle of
>>> the night for no good reason.
>>>
>>> a) Keypad
>>> b) Window Contact
>>> c) Motion Sensor
>>> d) ____________ (other)
>>> e) All of the above

>> 5. The craziest for me: Clock not set on stove. Yes, some stove manufavturer decided it was a great idea to make their stove emit a sharp "CHIRP" about once every 2 minutes when the clock was not set. Super hard to find, even for me on a service call at 3am.
>
> Re your last one - - - - - Thought I'd mention it in case you don't know about it.
>
> Do you use the method of rolling up a magazine and hold it up to one ear while plugging up the other ear? Looks dumb as you walk around with it but it's a great direction finder.

Never used the rolled up magazine, but now I might, just to see if it
helps.  As I may have said here before my hearing is bad at high
frequencies.  I never hear the beeps unless I have my ear right on
the keypad..... sometimes.

Recently I installed a Video Encoder on a NVR to pull in some old
coax cameras.  This was installed in a space that nobody visits
very frequently.  About 2 months after I installed and programmed
the customer calls and says something is beeping in the room.
Had him reboot items and when the Encoder was turned off the beeps
stopped.  Hmmmmmmmmm

So I went to the site to see if I could figure out what was going on
with the Encoder.  Upon arrival I heard NO BEEPS!!  So my trick is
to use my iPhone and the app for recording audio.  Started recording
and every 15 seconds the audio line would jump for a beep beep beep
or blip blip blip.

Checked the programming and found that there is a setting to have an
alarm if the HDD had some problem.  Well there was not a HDD installed
in the Encoder since all it was doing was converting the video signal
to the NVR.

Needless to say when I unchecked that feature and clicked SAVE, the
blips stopped.

The thing had been beeping for over 2 months.  :-)