Re: Vista 20P not allowing program re-entry

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 3:27:14 AM UTC-5, Airdorn wrote:
> Hiya all fellow alarm geeks :)=20
>=20
> Consider the following scenario:=20
>=20
>=20
> 1. You install a Honeywell Vista 20P system, including finishing all prog=
ramming.=20
>=20
> 2. Months later, you return for whatever reason and attempt to access pro=
gramming using the installer code + 800. Instead of entering program, you g=
et the long high-pitched error beep disallowing programming mode entry. The=
 only solution is to cuss the original installer for exiting with *98, cycl=
e power, and re-entering program with * & #.=20
>=20
> Only, it turns out that the installer, in fact, used *99 as normal, and i=
t turns out that a random fair amount of Vista 20P's since firmware version=
 9.12 display this (errant ?) behavior.=20
>=20
> I have run into this randomly over the past years. Each time it happens, =
I want to cuss the installers. But, really, they don't even know about exit=
ing program with *98... they are hardwired to use *99 as normal, for decade=
s, because they are sheep-like.=20
>=20
> The more reasonable explanation is that there is some kind of bug in the =
Vista firmware that is disallowing re-entry into program, as if last exit f=
rom programming was with *98. (It wasn't -- they used *99)=20
>=20
> I am forced to wonder, what are the situations that would disallow entry =
into the program using installer code + 800. I can think of two situations:=
=20
>=20
> 1. Previous use of programming mode was exited with *98.=20
>=20
> 2. Auto-arm is used, and a schedule is programmed to use it.=20
>=20
>=20
> Are there other configurations where installer code + 800 is specifically=
 disabled forgood reason, or is this a bug I have run into for quite a whil=
e now?=20
>=20
> This is a potential problem beecause certain devices, like the Alarm.com =
SEM, cannot function properly if they can't readily access the Vista 20P sy=
stem programming.=20
>=20
> Thanks!

Programmed hundreds of Vista-15P's and 20P's of that vintage and never ran =
into this issue, Honeywell unfortunately did not state what issues updates =
fixed only what new features they added

One way to prevent entry into programming is through downloading but this d=
oesn't sound like that was enabled